Construction Technology and Building Science
In this Tarion-approved workshop, you will learn about construction technology using a building science framework. You will study real life examples and discuss your own experiences and projects in a small group setting. The learning material will be supplemented with various instructional videos customized to the needs of the group.
Learn about the control of heat loss, air leakage, and moisture movement in buildings and learn how to avoid common defects in construction. You will be introduced to construction technology, building science theory and practice. The course will use the Canadian Homebuilder Association Builders’ Manual as a textbook.
By the end of the workshop you will be able to:
- Understand Building science that affects building durability and occupant comfort
- Understand Mechanical systems and integrated mechanical systems
- Discuss approaches to improving Indoor air quality
- Explain the “House-as-a-system” concept
Discuss Controlling Heat Loss:
- Describe the heat loss mechanisms through above and below grade assemblies
- Identify the difference between nominal and effective thermal resistance
- Find the thermal resistance associated with air films, air spaces and common building materials
- Calculate conductive heat loss through building assemblies
- Calculate effective thermal resistance
- Calculate heat loss through windows and predict condensation potential in a building assembly
Discuss Air Leakage and Indoor Air Quality:
- Identify why controlling air leakage is important in buildings
- Describe how air moves through an enclosure and the problems it can cause
- Describe air sealing approaches
- Identify materials that can be used as a part of an air barrier system
Discuss Moisture Control:
- Identify and understand first and second planes of control
- Describe drainage planes
- Provide details for interior and exterior vapour control
- Provide details for capillary and ground water control, snow and ice control
- Use psychrometrics to understand air and water vapour mixtures
This course is a three day workshop.
The course fee includes the exam, course textbook, participant materials, breakfast, and lunch. Please notify us of any food allergies and/or dietary restrictions that you may have.
Group rates are available for 6 or more. Please email to set up a group rate.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Policy and Conditions
This is part of the new Tarion Education Criteria as of September 1, 2015 for new applicants proposing to build residential freehold and low-rise condominium under Part 9 of the Ontario Building Code. For more information on what competencies you need to meet, please visit “Tarion’s Getting Registered Page“.
Please note: This is a technical workshop intended for persons wishing to become a Tarion registered homebuilder. buildABILITY reserves the right to limit registration to individuals with the necessary demonstrated prerequisite knowledge and expertise.
If you need to cancel yourself from a course and it is:
- More than 7 days prior to the first day of the course, you will receive a full refund less a $75 + HST administration fee
- Less than 7 days prior to the first day of the course, you will receive a refund of 50% of your registration fee
- The day of class and you did not show up, you will be charged a full fee and will not be eligible for a refund
Cancellations must be received by phone or email.
Rescheduling, relocating, or cancelling events is at the discretion of buildABILITY Corporation. Should this happen: we will provide a notice 5 days prior to the seminar, you will not be charged.