Tarion-Approved: Legal Issues in Housing
Understand common legal situations faced by new home builders and learn the warning signs of when to seek a legal expert. This Tarion-approved course covers fundamental legal issues in housing and has been developed for new home builders. Topics include: Contract Law, Tort Law, the Construction Act, the Ontario New Homes Warranty Plan Act, and Statutory Laws. This course will help build your basic understanding of legal terms and concepts that you will regularly encounter as a new home builder. Learn what you need to know in-class with a legal professional.
This introductory course is intended for new home builders. This course will not make you a legal expert.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Describe legal requirements of contracts
- Describe types of contracts
- Distinguish between an Agreement of Purchase and Sale, and a Contract Home
- Give examples of warranties
- Explain the land registry system and related topics
- Describe builder liability
- Explain the Construction Lien Act
- Describe insurance law
- Describe privacy law
- Explain dispute resolution mechanisms
- Describe employment law
When and Where
Length: 1 day
Where: Thornhill, Ontario
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
This is part of the new Tarion Education Criteria as of September 1, 2015 for new applicants proposing to build residential freehold and low-rise condominium under Part 9 of the Ontario Building Code. For more information on what competencies you need to meet, please visit “Tarion’s Getting Registered Page“.
Please note: This is a technical workshop intended for persons wishing to become a Tarion registered homebuilder. buildABILITY reserves the right to limit registration to individuals with the necessary demonstrated prerequisite knowledge and expertise.
If you need to cancel yourself from a course and it is:
- More than 7 days prior to the first day of the course, you will receive a full refund less a $75 + HST administration fee
- Less than 7 days prior to the first day of the course, you will receive a refund of 50% of your registration fee
- The day of class and you did not show up, you will be charged a full fee and will not be eligible for a refund
Cancellations must be received by phone or email.
Rescheduling, relocating, or cancelling events is at the discretion of buildABILITY Corporation. Should this happen: we will provide a notice 5 days prior to the seminar, you will not be charged.